It is the client who knows what hurts, what directions to go, what problems are crucial, what experiences have been deeply buried.
—Carl Rogers, from On Becoming a Person
This client-centered perspective is the cornerstone of humanistic-existential therapy, which requires therapists to “attempt to receive clients with curiosity and openness, endeavor to grasp their subjective world, and believe that clients are the experts on their own experience” (Wheeler, 2014, p. 373). As the psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner, it is important to understand that the effectiveness of this approach is dependent on your relationship with clients, as well as your beliefs on holism and human nature.
Compare humanistic-existential therapy with other approaches and justify its use with individual patients.
· Distinguish between humanistic-existential psychotherapy and other types of psychotherapy
· Justify the use of humanistic-existential psychotherapy approaches with individual patients
Assignment: Comparing Humanistic-Existential Psychotherapy with Other Approaches
Understanding the strengths of each type of therapy and which type of therapy is most appropriate for each patient is an essential skill of the psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. In this Assignment, you will compare humanistic-existential therapy to another psychotherapeutic approach. You will identify the strengths and challenges of each approach and describe expected potential outcomes.
· Review the humanistic-existential psychotherapy videos in this week’s Learning Resources.
· Reflect on humanistic-existential psychotherapeutic approaches.
· Then, select another psychotherapeutic approach to compare with humanistic-existential psychotherapy. The approach you choose may be one you previously explored in the course or one you are familiar with and especially interested in.
In a 2- to 3-page paper, address the following:
· Briefly describe humanistic-existential psychotherapy and the second approach you selected.
· Explain at least three differences between these therapies. Include how these differences might impact your practice as a PMHNP.
· Focusing on one video you viewed, explain why humanistic-existential psychotherapy was utilized with the patient in the video and why it was the treatment of choice. Describe the expected potential outcome if the second approach had been used with the patient.
· Support your response with specific examples from this week’s media and at least three peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Attach the PDFs of your sources.
· Required Media (click to expand/reduce)
· Grande, T. (2019, January 9). Theories of counseling – Existential therapy [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvAvc2aWup0
· PsychotherapyNet. (2009, June 29). James Bugental live case consultation psychotherapy video [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl8tVTjdocI
· ThinkingallowedTV. (2010, September 20). James Bugental: Humanistic psychotherapy (excerpt) – A thinking allowed DVD w/ Jeffrey Mishlove [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjDNKGIvWPQ