Assignment: Journal Entry
Photo Credit: Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay
Critical reflection of your growth and development during your practicum experience in a clinical setting has the benefit of helping you to identify opportunities for improvement in your clinical skills, while also recognizing your strengths and successes.
Use this Journal to reflect on your clinical strengths and opportunities for improvement, the progress you made, and what insights you will carry forward into your next practicum.
· Refer to the “Population-Focused Nurse Practitioner Competencies” found in the Week 1 Learning Resources, and consider the quality measures or indicators advanced nursing practice nurses must possess in your specialty of interest.
· Refer to your Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form you submitted in Week 1, and consider your strengths and opportunities for improvement.
· Refer to your Patient Log in Meditrek, and consider the patient activities you have experienced in your practicum experience and reflect on your observations and experiences.
Journal Entry (450–500 words)
Learning From Experiences
· Revisit the goals and objectives from your Practicum Experience Plan. Explain the degree to which you achieved each during the practicum experience.
· Reflect on the three (3) most challenging patients you encountered during the practicum experience. What was most challenging about each?
· What did you learn from this experience?
· What resources were available?
· What evidence-based practice did you use for the patients?
· What would you do differently?
· How are you managing patient flow and volume?
· How can you apply your growing skillset to be a social change agent within your community?
Communicating and Feedback
· Reflect on how you might improve your skills and knowledge, and communicate those efforts to your Preceptor.
· Answer the questions: How am I doing? What is missing?
· Reflect on the formal and informal feedback you received from your Preceptor.
By Day 7 of Week 11
Submit your Journal.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
· Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK11Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
· Click the Week 11 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
· Click the Week 11 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
· Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK11Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
· If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
· Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
This is the learning resources and clinical learning guidelines
PRAC 6665/6675 Clinical Skills
|Desired Clinical Skills for Students to Achieve||Confident (Can complete independently)||Mostly confident (Can complete with supervision)||Beginning (Have performed with supervision or needs supervision to feel confident)||New (Have never performed or does not apply)|
|Comprehensive psychiatric evaluation skills in:|
|Recognizing clinical signs and symptoms of psychiatric illness across the lifespan||x|
|Differentiating between pathophysiological and psychopathological conditions||x|
|Performing and interpreting a comprehensive and/or interval history and physical examination (including laboratory and diagnostic studies)||x|
|Performing and interpreting a mental status examination||x|
|Performing and interpreting a psychosocial assessment and family psychiatric history||x|
|Performing and interpreting a functional assessment (activities of daily living, occupational, social, leisure, educational).||x|
|Diagnostic reasoning skill in:|
|Developing and prioritizing a differential diagnoses list|
|Formulating diagnoses according to DSM 5-TR based on assessment data||X|
|Differentiating between normal/abnormal age-related physiological and psychological symptoms/changes||X|
|Pharmacotherapeutic skills in:|
|Selecting appropriate evidence based clinical practice guidelines for medication plan (e.g., risk/benefit, patient preference, developmental considerations, financial, the process of informed consent, symptom management)||x|
|Evaluating patient response and modify plan as necessary||X|
|Documenting (e.g., adverse reaction, the patient response, changes to the plan of care)||x|
|Psychotherapeutic Treatment Planning:|
|Recognizes concepts of therapeutic modalities across the lifespan||x|
|Selecting appropriate evidence based clinical practice guidelines for psychotherapeutic plan (e.g., risk/benefit, patient preference, developmental considerations, financial, the process of informed consent, symptom management, modality appropriate for situation)||x|
|Applies age appropriate psychotherapeutic counseling techniques with individuals and/or any caregivers||X|
|Develop an age appropriate individualized plan of care||X|
|Provide psychoeducation to individuals and/or any caregivers||X|
|Promote health and disease prevention techniques||X|
|Develop SMART goals for practicum experiences||X|
|Evaluating outcomes of practicum goals and modify plan as necessary||X|
|Documenting and reflecting on learning experiences||X|
|Maintains professional boundaries and therapeutic relationship with clients and staff||X|
|Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to improve clinical practice in mental health settings||X|
|Identifies ethical and legal dilemmas with possible resolutions||X|
|Demonstrates non-judgmental practice approach and empathy||X|
|Practices within scope of practice||X|
|Selecting and implementing appropriate screening instrument(s), interpreting results, and making recommendations and referrals:|
|Demonstrates selecting the correct screening instrument appropriate for the clinical situation||X|
|Implements the screening instrument efficiently and effectively with the clients||X|
|Interprets results for screening instruments accurately||X|
|Develops an appropriate plan of care based upon screening instruments response||X|
|Identifies the need to refer to another specialty provider when applicable||X|
|Accurately documents recommendations for psychiatric consultations when applicable||X|
Summary of strengths:
Opportunities for growth:
Now, write three to four (3–4) possible goals and objectives for this practicum experience. Ensure that they follow the SMART Strategy, as described in the Learning Resources.